Contact Us :)

Coaches:
Michelle Flanagan: michelleluceyflanagan@gmail.com

Abby Siple: Abigail.Siple@bsd.k12.de.us

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Positive thinking

What I know for sure….

Nothing beats the power of positive thinking. If you put two runners of equal ability on the starting line, the one with the positive attitude will win every time. Do you know how many times I have heard the following before a big race:

I’m going to run so badly today.
She’s going to beat me.

I feel sick.
My foot hurts
I have cramps
I was up all last night
.

Why do so many runners felt the need to complain right before stepping on the line? Is this some kind of coping mechanism? Does it really help you shake off the nerves? Or does it give you an excuse….something to fall back on if the race does not go your way?

Why not take the OPPOSITE approach? Fill you head with positive thoughts. Find a mantra that you can repeat over and over as you prepare to step on the line. “I am a force…out on the course.” Or like the little train who could: “I know I can, I know I can, I know I can.” Whatever works for YOU.

Think about all the reasons you run cross country. Put all that positive energy into your mind as you prepare for a race. Instead of that overwhelming feeling of dread, you’ll be filled with anticipation…an eagerness to see what accomplishments lie ahead in the next 3.1 miles.

To borrow a phrase from the McDonough Family….B+ and you will be a much happier and more successful runner.

Coach Flanagan :)

Back Home http://brandywinexc.com/index.html

No comments: